Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Walmart Challenge-The Cake

So, I've been quoted $4/slice for my cake. As other bloggers have mentioned, I asked for a cake that serves 100 guests (since most don't even eat the wedding cake). It still came to $400 for a 3-tier cake...I can't pay that much for batter and sugar! I understand all the work that goes into making a cake, but I just can't bring myself (or my tight budget) to do it!

I discovered that Walmart makes wedding cakes, and to my surprise, they look quite nice. At my Atlanta location, they have 1 flat rate for 3-tier cakes of $125.00. I wanted a plain, smooth cake with a ribbon and brooch (To go along with my brooch theme). Walmart is flexible enough that I can deliver my ribbon and brooch to them, and they will add it at no extra charge.

So, let's test your eye.
I'm going to post pics of Walmart cakes along with cakes that cost $4-$7/slice. Can you guess which is from a bakery vs Walmart?







        A                                                   B 




           C                                                    D



      E                                                             F


     G                                                  H



    I                                                        J




 

   K                                                 L



Ok, so what was your guess?

Walmart cakes were: A, B, C, E, (F-was not a direct Walmart link, but the person says they got their cake from Walmart), J, K, and L. With the exception of the "F" cake, I took those photos myself from their order catalog.

All the other cakes were $400-$1000

So, my idea is to order cake J (In Ivory Butter-cream  not tan) & leave off the Walmart bows. I will instead take my brooch and ribbon and ask them to put it on my cake).

Here are a few pros and cons to ordering a Walmart cake:

Pros:
-Cost about 1/3 less than traditional caterers.
-Still looks nice as long as you don't mind a simpler cake.
-It can be customized with different colors and designs, & as long as it's not too elaborate, the price will stay the same flat fee.

Cons:
-They don't deliver. You will have to trust someone to get it safely to you.
-They don't do fondant (wasn't a problem for me because I hate the way fondant tastes anyway).
-It will not taste as great as a cake from your neighborhood bakery.

So, use your own discretion on this one, and figure out how much a catered cake means to you.
Mine will cost $125

So, last time I blogged my budget was down to $921
Subtract cost of cake:$125

Balance $796

Please leave a comment and tell me what you think about the cakes BTW!

Cake credits:
Cakd "D" Sweet personalities: http://www.sweetpersonalitiescakes.com/id16.html
Cake "G" Google images
Cake "H": Coutour Cakes: http://www.wpbeventhall.com/local-wedding-cake-bakeries-pg-2-0804
Cake "I" http://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/lets-talk-cakes/01ccc5b9ca0e4c51.html





9 comments:

  1. Hi, just stopping by from weddingbee! I was going to suggest cake J as well. :) Who knew walmart made such awesome cakes! I think it will taste just fine. But I'm not very picky about my cake! I agree that $400 is just way too much to spend on something that most people won't even eat. Can't wait to see how your cake turns out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachael! I will definitely post it after the wedding.
      :-)

      Delete
    2. Oct 2012, Woodland, WA Walmart created our cakes -- 3 tiered, perfect and delicious -- beautiful. We also ordered a groom's cake which was a basketball cake (chocolate). They were filled as well. We were very, very pleased. Saved us $200. Highly recommend Walmart cakes for a wedding.

      Delete
    3. I enjoyed your blog very much I'm in Ct. I agree Walmart did make my daughters cake it was delicious, it was actually very good.. ) and well decorated at one Walmart in particular that I go to and the women there did a fabulous job on my daughters 3 tiered birthday cake and it looked comparable to a mom and pop expensive bakery that was featured on cupcake wars nearby (that only fed 30 that coasta wopping $250) The women at walmart marie did a beautiful job and it only was 60.00 rich and delicious!

      Delete
  2. How did your wedding go? Any updates?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a bakery department manager at a Wal Mart and personally I think the wedding cakes taste so much better than there other cakes. Last I knew only can't in white but very moist and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is really nice to read..informative post is very good to read..thanks a lot! custom birthday cake toronto

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant .i love it reading. california cakes redlands

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a decorator that has worked from home , in small high end bakeries and grocery stores . I can tell you most grocery stores have beautiful pictures in their books, but a lot of the decorators can't make them ! They offer little to no training, 2 hours per cake is the time frame they give for WEDDING cakes ( no matter how big) and a lot of bakery managers wont let you purchase the appropriate "structure" needed for a tiered cake, or BOXES !! I can't tell you how many wedding cakes I had to send out in a produce box because they wont splurge for a box that is made for a tiered cake ! VW's and Porsche's are both cars...they will both get you from point A to Point B ....but they are vastly different cars !!!

    ReplyDelete