Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Laundry List (Literally)


The first subject of much bridal stress: Oh, what to wear?

Well, I gave myself a $400 budget for the wedding dress. I know this sounds preposterous to some of you brides-to-be. But believe me, it can be done. And here's another wrench to throw in the mix: I'm a plus-sized bride (Regular size 14, formal size 16)...and not to mention busty (36-E bra size). For the smaller brides out there, finding a dress at $400 might be a bit easier.

So, I had visions of a couture ball gown & I started researching online. I started at Ebay and even came across a cool site called Recycledbride.com where you can purchase previously worn wedding gowns. (They've recently changed their name to Tradesy.com BTW). I'm always hesitant though to purchase site-unseen. But at least the site offers a buyer guarantee.

Here are examples of what I had envisioned, a strapless tiered ruffle ball gown:

All of these dresses range between $1000 - $4000


So, I visited a couple local discount bridal shops and tried about 15 dresses before I decided to visit David's Bridal. I went with the hope to buy one of their $99 dresses, but I found that none of them fit the desired "Couture" effect. So, I shopped the sale rack and stumbled upon this very pretty gown, previously priced at $1150, and guess what? It was a final sale at the cost of $349.99!! On top of that, all the sale items had an additional $50 off. So my final price, with tax was around $325! And here it is, a Galina Signature Dress, (In which I found had been created by Viola Chan and is still sold in Europe for $1400.)


I don't think I'll have any problem feeling like a couture bride in this dress! & I came pretty close to my inspiration gowns, don't you think!?

All that was needed to complete my look was a mermaid petticoat (Also at David's Bridal for $49-regular priced), and shoes (I scored a pair of Vera Wang flats while at David's, originally $68. I got them for $49)


My mother told me it wouldn't feel real until I bought the dress, and I have to agree. It's all coming together now!

Dress link: Click Here
Shoe Link: Click Here

So my current tally (with tax) so far:
Dress: $325
Petticoat: $54
Shoes: $54
Total: $433 for dress, undergarments and shoes.
Budget left: $2567



3 comments:

  1. Here via Weddingbee - I think that the dress you chose is fabulous and will definitely look like couture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather! I even added a corsette in the back to make it a little more individual. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to discuss that, I feel strongly about this and so really like getting to know more on this kind of field. Do you mind updating your blog post with additional insight? It should be really useful for all of us.
    Bridesmaid Dresses

    ReplyDelete